Research objectives of Work package 3
Work package 3 will focus on the search for and characterization of power components and interconnection materials for the emdedded power core and module concepts proposed in WP2. Innovative components and materials will be used for the realization of embedded power core and modules that will be developed in test vehicles and complete systems in WP5 and subsequently for the end-user demonstrators in WP7. In this respect, the WP3 output will be of vital importance for the first power core and module products in WP5, for the system verification of the first prototypes in WP6 and for the utilization of tailored components and materials in the demonstrators. More specifically, the objectives of WP3 are:
- Provision of existing power components (IGBTs, power diodes) for the determination of the technological limits for the manufacturing of prototype power cores and modules in WP5.
- Develop and establish a KGD process for visual and electrical characterization of all power components with copper metallization which will be used in the course of the project for the development of the WP2 embedded concepts. In Collaboration with WP4, component wafers with full copper metallization will be produced and characterized with respect to their warpage, intrinsic stresses and their electrical functionality. In this way, an internal KDG supply chain logistic will be established for the EmPower project.
- Provision of power component with copper metallization at top and bottom sides for full compatibility with the embedded concepts proposed in WP2 where copper micro via will be used for component topside interconnection and direct copper electroplating will be employed for backside interconnection.
- Comprehensive investigation on different component interface metallization at both sides of the component for the exploration in WP5 of an alternative face-up embedding approach, where the component will be assembled with its backside on copper blocks using conductive materials which are compatible only with backside Ag, Ni/Pd and Ni/Au metallization. The topside of the component will be contacted with copper micro via and therefore a copper topside metallization will be needed.
- Investigation on embedding prepreg materials with high Tg and thermal conductivity values for the embedding of power components.
- Feedback from WP2 and WP6, regarding the thermo-mechanical and thermal performance of interconnection materials for further development and adjustment of the materials.
- Investigation on cutting-edge heat sinks (IMS) (Copper/isolator/Aluminum) that can be economical alternatives to current DCB solutions and that are still capable of increased heat dissipation.
- Exploration of new thermal conductive isolating prepreg materials for the development of cost effective heat sinks.